Tuesday, September 27, 2011

No Worries

I attended a concert last week, and to protect the innocent, I will not say which one.

It was long and boring. The program was exciting – the concert was depressing, and the performances were subpar. I have managed to sit through the entire concert . What does this mean or say about me? Please allow me to be frank about these statements and protest that this is not a concern, as this is merely an observation.

Someone asked me what my concern may be pertaining to the future of classical music.

I replied. But, what I did was try to over analyze the question – and as broad as it may be, I could have replied with a simple and honest answer.

My uncle says that he can not listen to classical music because he can't get into it.

He was referring to the lack of drum beats and rhythmic umpf that he associates with this genre. Surely I could have responded, argued and defended my thoughts on this particular subject – I did not.

What is this?

Is it tolerance, intelligence, or judgement? This raises no concern for me, but I do observe and reflect upon the decisions that I or others have made. It is apparent that we often become enveloped by our character; the one who studies for hours; the one who judges silently; who comprises an ilk of confidence and trash those that are unbefitting. What is embedded in all of this Is uncertainty, survival, denial, apprehension, isolation, and hierarchy. We break down, transform and realize our true disposition. We become humiliated and, for once, submit to our society and find that priorities were amiss. What becomes of this?

...our character. Who are we to judge, and dismiss? We rely on our community, culture, colleague, family, and friends to support our ideas – to talk to us; agree to disagree; improve; move forward; and survive. People forget who they are, where they come from and why they practice 8 hours a day.

Now, please allow me to be frank about these statements and protest that this is not a concern, as this is merely an observation.


Thank You for reading,

Kwaumane Brown


Longy School of Music
UD in Composition ('12)

No comments: