Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Well, it's the last class.

I didn't really know what to expect when I signed up for this class. I came out of DePauw with lots and lots of 21CM on the brain, but I didn't know how that could be turned into an actual class, with lectures and homework and all. Aside from my initial ADD-induced breakdowns, this class was pretty satisfying. We read interesting material, talked about interesting things, and were encouraged to find new information of our own. The blogging platform and Wikipedia article were great ways to blend academic homework with new media technology, which is a necessity in this day and age. The only thing that I missed... was getting out. I think the class could have benefitted from at least one "field trip" to a forward-thinking musical performance. With only eight people, nine including Isaiah, it wouldn't be that hard to get reservations. This is something that I did several years ago with a group from DePauw in New York. We spent two weeks going from performance to performance and documenting our reactions. Boston is chock full of opportunities and I think we could take advantage of them together.

My articles:
The Oatmeal's State of the Music Industry
The Relationship between Box Office and Repertoire
Fifth House Ensemble
Dean McCoy talks 21CM
Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir
Better Concert Experience
The Chili Video
Met Stars Made Humble

No comments: