Wednesday, October 28, 2009

This is why I sing...

Every so often I have one of those moments where I think, "this is why I sing". Whether it is while performing a particular piece or mastering a certain technical issue, it is a time where I stop and feel comforted. It's not that I ever fall out of love with music, but it is definitely nice to have snippets of time where I am reminded that the pursuit is absolutely worth it despite the difficulties.
I had another one of those moments recently. Tom Meglioranza gave a concert here at Longy as part of the Unique Voices Concert Series. He is a baritone who had been around this semester attending classes and giving feedback as well as offering private coachings. I have learned a great deal from hearing his ideas and watching him work with fellow students.
His concert consisted of songs from around the time of WWI. Featuring pieces by George M. Cohan, Kurt Weill, Rudolf Sieczynski, Francis Poulenc, Claude Debussy, Charles Ives, Carrie Jacobs Bond and more. I had never heard most of the songs he performed, but loved the concert despite that. It is true that new works can be just as satisfying as the old chestnuts. Hearing his warm and welcoming tone and being pulled into the world of each piece through his wonderful characterizations reminded me of how powerful music can be. It can take you places. It can tap into carious emotions. It can serve as a reminder that your life is heading in a positive direction.
As an encore, Tom sang "I Love You Truly", at which point I was close to tears. It was just so lovely and moving, and I had that thought again. "This is why I sing." I definitely recommend making an effort to hear him if the opportunity should arise.
In the opening introduction for this weeks reading, Hewett writes the following about music: "It is the most insubstantial thing in human life, mere vibrations on the air; but viewed another way it is mundanely real, the basis of a colossal global industry, the thing that anchors people to the present moment and to each other." (Page 1) For mere vibrations, it sure does shake me to my very core.

No comments: