Monday, November 5, 2012

CDZA and Final Project Ideas

Last week, I mentioned finding a YouTube video where children dressed up with powdered wigs and 18th century costumes sang pop lyrics over classical music. I originally found this video while listening to Classic FM and thought they were somehow related, but it turns out, the video came from a group called CDZA. At first, I thought the video was ridiculous and provided no meaningful way to engage kids who love pop with classical music, since the melodies and musical contexts are so different. However, once I heard Katy Perry and Beethoven together, I’m a bit embarrassed to admit, I couldn’t get that mash up out of my head. It’s an interesting idea, but I think it should be taken one step further, like we briefly discussed in class. Instead of superimposing pop melodies over classical pieces, why not compose new classical pieces influenced by pop music?

This group has a lot of other videos on their website that I haven’t had a chance to see yet, but A History of Whistling and Western Music in 16 Genres look intriguing.


For my Wikipedia article, I’ve been considering the following:
- An article on Claire Chase, a recent MacArthur Fellow
- An article on one of my professors from Syracuse, NY, Dr. Joseph Downing.
He’s an active composer in the central NY area.
- Some kind of article about extended techniques on the flute; extended techniques were listed as needing more information on the page sharing potential article ideas, but this is an extremely broad subject and is often piece-specific, so I’m not sure how successful it would be.
- An article about the ASCAP Foundation

No comments: