Saturday, November 3, 2012

Healing the Convenient Rift

I was going to write another probing post about writing for specific audiences, or maybe the connection between food and music (perhaps our composers will, someday, become our Anthony Bourdains of music), or perhaps the disparity between the inclusive dance world and our classical conundrum. And so as I read Healing the Rift and pondered these ideas, a thought ignited.

"Hmm," I wondered, "200 pages in, and he certainly has been talking up the male gender." I looked at the date of publication: 2003. I thought about the subject: healing the rift between musical styles of the 20th and 21st century, and issues that lie therein. "HMMMM," I thought again, "this sure is interesting!"

So I went to the index and counted. 206 names, 6 of them women.

If my gender doesn't have much of value to say about this subject, then I suppose I won't post this week.

Have a nice Saturday.

I'll leave you with a few words you might not see elsewhere:

Franghiz Ali-Zadeh
Libby Larsen
Gabriela Ortiz
Elfrida Andree
Marion Bauer
Dorothy Rudd Moore
Margaret Bonds

1 comment:

AnthonyRizzotto said...

Normally I try to stay out of the gender conversation, but I do have to agree with you on this. So I wrote a post loosely based on this and think you should check out those books I mentioned. The first book isn't so populated with as many female contributors, but the latter books is basically 50/50.