Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Pacifica Quartet

As I am sure most of you are aware, the Pacifica Quartet is coming! They are a fabulous group who are going to be participating in just about every aspect of Longy this year. When searching for interesting articles to cite in the New York Times, I stumbled upon a quite surprising article from last month: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/27/arts/music/27paci.html?_r=1&ref=music&oref=slogin
After reading Levine, this concert series struck me as a blast from the past. I never would have guessed that such a prestigious group would be giving free concerts! And inviting the public to eat lunch during the performance just seemed to speak right to our cause. I especially liked how they introduced the piece to the audience, examples and all, before they performed. This type of pre-performance dialogue provides a (sometimes) much needed 'in' for audiences. I liken it to our study questions: the purpose is to guide the audience's listening. I encourage you to read this (brief) article, not only for our class but to gain some knowledge of the group that will soon be joining us.

No comments: