Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Boston Symphony...insulting marketing?

I've already started this post many different ways, this story in the Sunday paper has just gotten me to think about many different things. You can read the story here...http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2008/11/30/thoughts_on_a_missing_maestro_at_the_bso/
At first glace and skimming over the article, I admit (I was reading the article outloud to my roommate) that I added in, "what a diva" about the conductor. I mean isn't it quite the typical behavior of a "diva" to just walk out when not getting top billing? Maybe he could have just trashed the dressing room of Lynn Harrell instead? I'm not sure which is worse.
However, I would like to think that although what the BSO did could have been seen as insulting, we have to remember that they are still a business. A business that relies on people and their money. I was embarrassed to find that I had never heard of conductor, Gennady Rozhdestvensky but I'm sure that had I been at the concert, I would have read his biography and been impressed. But I had heard of cellist Lynn Harrell. That is what would have drawn me to the concert instead.
This may be "American style marketing", and I'm not saying whether or not it's any good, and it's starting to make me think that I really shouldn't only rely on big names (Sarah Corrigan is not a big name after all....), but that's the kind of world that we live in.
I say that if it gets classical music out there, and it helps it sell, then by all means do it. However, I'm not exactly for a label cover with a scantily clad girl and a strategically placed violin.....that's another post.

No comments: